In Iyengar yoga theory, twisting moves such as this one help to isolate and compress your digestive organs, which, in turn, helps to remove tension around the stomach area. Twisting moves can also help stimulate your digestion, while relieving gas and constipation, which helps to make your stomach look flatter and firmer.
HOW TO DO IT
- Lie on your back. Pull your right knee in towards your chest and extend your left leg on the floor. Place your right foot on your left thigh just above the knee.
- Drop your right knee to the floor on your left side and place your right arm in line with your shoulder.
- Rest your left hand on the outside of your right knee.
- Turn your head to the right, bringing your gaze over your right shoulder.
- With each inhalation, lengthen through the sides of your body, and with each exhalation, deepen the twist.
- Hold for five to 10 breaths, then repeat on the other side.
Twisting compresses your diaphragm, so your breathing may feel shallow. Try to take long, deep breaths